Dates: October 31 – November 10, 2017 & 2018
This 10-day residential program is experiential, and designed to introduce the participant to the basic practices of the Himalayan tradition as taught by Swami Rama. The emphasis will be on the first 4 rungs of Ashtanga Yoga (the Royal Path):
- Yama [5 restraints: ahimsa (nonviolence), satya (non-lying), asteya (non-stealing), brahmacharya (control of passions, senses, and mind), aparigraha (non-attachment)]
- Niyama [5 observances: shaucha (purity of the body), santosha (contentment), tapas (practices to perfect the functioning of body, mind, and senses), svadhyaya (self-study), Ishvara-pranidhana (surrender of the ego to the higher self)]
- Asana (hatha/postures)
- Pranayama (breathing exercises)
The program offers daily yoga classes, breathing and relaxation practicums, guided meditation practice, and individualized instruction in yoga science. There is also enough personal time for self-study and for walks along the Ganges. Three vegetarian meals are provided daily.
The program begins October 31 at 7:45 p.m. with welcome and orientation, and ends November 10 at 12 noon.
Facilitator: Dr. M. Ganasan
Duration: 10 days, application is required. Enrollment is limited to 10 participants.
Suggested donation: Rs. 9,000
Registration: Please fill out the online application form on the Registration page. You will be contacted by email after your form is submitted.
A typical daily schedule is as follows:
- 5:00 am, Rise/ablutions/stretches/breathing practices/meditation
- 6:00, Warm refreshments: lemon drink/tea/warm water
- 6:30, Practice
- 8:00, Breakfast
- 9:00, Walk
- 10:30, Satsang
- 11:30, Practice/breathing practices
- 12:30 pm, Meditation
- 1:00 pm, Lunch
- 2:30, Swami Rama video on alternate afternoons
- 4:00, Tea
- 4:30, Practice
- 5:30, Meditation
- 6:00, Walk
- 7:00, Supper
- 7:45, Satsang on alternate nights when no afternoon video
- 9:45, Meditation
- 10:00, Sleep