Dates: June 22-24, 2018
“The yoga approach to health is very simple, logical, and practical. It lays stress on the words yuktahar viharasya—eating and living as they should be done. By simply studying your own capacity and learning how to regulate your dietary habits, external activities, and thinking process, it is possible to gain control over your life and remain healthy.”
“There are many abilities at your disposal which can be consciously cultivated to achieve freedom from all pains, miseries, diseases, and disorder. These are described in the ancient scriptures. But the idea of holistic health should not be buried in books: it should be brought into practical use in order to build a healthy society.”
Quotations from the book A Practical Guide to Holistic Health by Swami Rama.
This program is designed as a weekend seminar for people to explore the rich and profound philosophy of holistic health as explained by Swami Rama. Though the method is simple and direct, the teachings are deep and profound. Swami Rama succinctly puts forth principles of holistic health in simple language, so that the participant may have direct experience of wellness. The video lecture, “Spiritual Origins of Health” by Swami Rama, will be covered over the weekend, along with discussions on the main points and practicums on the related techniques. Three vegetarian meals are provided daily.
The program begins with orientation at 6:00 p.m. on Friday night, and ends Sunday at 12 noon. The participant has the option to extend his/her stay for up to 5 days to learn some of the cleansing practices taught in yoga (shat kriyas): kapalabhati, trataka, neti, dhouti, nauli and vasti.
Facilitator: Dr. Ganasan
Duration: As noted. Application form is required.
Suggested donation: Rs.2,700
Registration: Please fill out the online application form on the Registration page. You will be contacted by email after your form is submitted.
Typical Daily Schedule
- 6-6:30 a.m., Hot lemon water, tea
- 6:30-7:15, Synchronized movement
- 7:15-8:00, Systematic relaxation & diaphragmatic breathing
- 8-9:00, Breakfast
- 10:00-11:00, Swami Rama video, discussion
- 12 noon, Practicum
- 1:00 p.m., Lunch
- 2-4:00, Rest, walk, reading, reflection (personal time)
- 4:00, Tea
- 6:30, Practicum
- 7:00, Supper
- 7:30-8:30, Swami Rama video, discussion
- 8:30-9:00, Guided meditation
Optional reference materials:
- A Practical Guide to Holistic Health, by Swami Rama, paperback
- Art of Joyful Living, by Swami Rama, paperback
- Conscious Living, by Swami Rama, paperback
- Science of Breath, by Swami Rama, Rudolph Ballentine, Alan Hymes, paperback
- Exercises for Joints and Glands, by Himalayan Institute, paperback
- “Guided Practice of Mantra and Meditation,” by Swami Rama, audio CD
- “Practices of the Himalayan Tradition as Taught by Swami Rama, vol. 1: Breathing and Relaxation,” audio CD